Saudi Arabia is actively exploring the acquisition of submarines, with a particular interest in light submarines for underwater surveillance and countering warships in the Gulf and the Red Sea regions.
In addition, the Kingdom is looking to augment a future submarine fleet with unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs). Both the submarine and UUV procurements are heavily contingent on the transfer of technology (TOT) and localization requirements.
The RSNF may opt for a combination of submarines and a sizable UUV fleet to achieve its objectives.
Tactical Report highlights these matters, including:
- The companies competing for the submarine tender
- The frontrunners in the submarine competition
- The Saudi TOT and localization demands
- The status of the UUV purchase program
- The main offer for the UUV tender